Thursday, January 14, 2016

Post #2: A Dream Assignment

Themes: 

1.Photograph Xavier students when they are expressing themselves- be it theater class or aviation club, just some place where they are comfortable and are not afraid to be themselves.
Sisters in the Summer

 2. Photograph antique shops- there is something beautiful in the history that no one knows about and that is what antique shops are like, they are intriguing in their anonymity.
3. Photograph friends at different times of the day- everyone knows that people are a little haywire at certain points of the day and more relaxed later so it would be fascinating to capture that difference, if possible.
4. "Kill" someone with kindness- this idea popped into my head randomly, it was based on a quote that went a little further. So whatever would normally be the weapon would be changed into something else (i.e. a knife into a flower, a bottle of poison turned into a bottle labeled "love").
5. Girls trying on period clothes- we are so used to our short shorts and jeans and tank tops, it would be hilarious to see how modern day girls view themselves in old time-y clothing.

Need some Help?
6. Photograph Lux- I love that coffee shop, it has such an air of normalcy and welcome that you just can't avoid going there. I want to show all the fun people and the food and the entertainment that goes because it really is quite a lively place.
7. People painted as animals- we, humans, are animals after all and usually face paint is only for little kids. This would be one way to combine parents and their teens and their grandparents to all have a little fun as they try to express their animal nature.
8. Background of movies as they do the impossible- so if in a movie someone looks taller, this would be a behind-the-scenes look as to how (i.e. standing on a box) or if they are flying show the strings or show the fans blowing in their face, it's just a weird but fun idea.
Mike+Mich
9. Photographing ONE emotion- find a bunch of different people, ages ranging, and tell them to express one feeling, for example, happiness, and photograph how every generation and person is different in their expressions.
10. Incorporating something I love- so I would randomly throw in my phone, or my favorite book, or anything else that I love and make it look completely out of context so that it is almost a puzzle and a question as to whether it was a mistake.





My favorite theme was definitely "Kill" with Kindness because it does seem a little more out of the box than we are used to and that would be something interesting to see. It's not something I've ever done before or thought about until I began this class and had this assigned on the first time. I definitely think that as I progress with my photography skills that it will be impossible not to recreate this theme because not only will I want to see my improvement, I know that I will want to elaborate on it.

The Card: 

The card I chose in class was a verb: reading; ironically it was one of the words I had written down. thank goodness this is quite easy to incorporate into my favorite theme. Seeing as everything is "Killing" with Kindness, I will have to find books with a killing scene and imagine the weapon in a nonthreatening way. For instance, if I look to fairy tales like Snow White, the apple will no longer be poisonous and instead the witch will be bringing a basket of them as a sign of good faith. And if I want to be a little more realistic I can always borrow some mystery books from my father and get ideas there.

I hope that I will maintain a little control of this series but I kind of want to let my imagination rule my body as I take the photograph. I don't want to have it so perfect that it's staged, I want this project to look relaxed and effortless.

No comments:

Post a Comment